Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oklahoma Football Monster!

    Hello! How do you do? It's Drew the View! One constant throughout my life has been The University of Oklahoma Sooners Football. I have pictures of me wearing jerseys as a newborn.  I remember as a kid being so excited because one of my friends was supposed to have OU quarterback Charles Thompson at his birthday party.  He never showed, but a few weeks later I saw Charles getting into a car on the cover of Sports Illustrated, wearing hand cuffs and an orange jump suit.
    My dad and I would sit around listening to the games on the radio on weekends (we weren't on television much in the 90's due to the sixteen NCAA recruiting violations).  The first game I ever attended we played Kansas State.  My favorite player growing up was Cale Gundy who played high school ball at Midwest City.   
   I played all the way until freshman in high school and had really good hands but ran like a broke robot.  One of the guys I played with in junior high and high school was recruited by OU. Cale came to our school to visit him.  The Sooners signed him but he still needed to make the grade on a standardized test. 
   The story I've heard is that on the day of the test, the recruit had some girl show up to take it for him. One of the teachers monitoring the test happened to be a football coach at another high school and told on them.  Ain't that some shit? He eventually joined the team. I was at the only game he scored a touchdown. 
   I have a great life. I love my family, enjoy going to work (most days) and I love creating, but when the Sooners line up on Saturday there's nothing more important.  Below is a brief history of The University of Oklahoma Football Monster minus the Gibbs and Stoops eras. 
    I love you! Thanks for reading!-Drew The View

Oklahoma Football Monster

    Dr. George Cross is credited with creating the OU football monster.  In 1944, Dr. Cross took over as the president of the University of Oklahoma.  He had an idea to provide a sort of relief for Oklahomans who were feeling the financial and emotional strain caused by the Dust Bowl.  "I was trying to counter this depression and give the people a source of pride in their state. And we did give them a since of pride.  But they eventually took too much pride in us, as a matter of fact."   
   Us started growing in the fall of 1945.  The war was ending and many fine young athletes would be returning home to attend school.  Dr. Cross aimed to hire a coach who had been involved with the military football teams: enter Bud Wilkinson. 
   In 1947, The Touchdown Club was formed for the "receiving, holding, and disbursing money for the support of athletics, especially football...." but truthfully it was setup by rich alumni and boosters to recruit players. 
   Oklahoma was one of the first major universities to recruit black athletes.  In 1954 they took all the players on the Muskogee High School football team to the Orange Bowl and gave all Muskogee athletes a scholarship to OU.
   "They were pretty wild years after World War II and through the 1950s.  During that period sportswriters called the stroll from Owen Field to the athletic dorm the Million-Dollar Walk because it was widely believed that wealthy OU boosters would line up to press handshakes padded with cash on the football players." (Barry Switzer: Bootlegger's Son) 
   Wilkinson coached the Sooners from 1947 to 1963, won three national championships, fourteen conference titles and had an impeccable record of 145–29–4.  After Wilkinson, losing wasn't tolerated. Coach Switzer experienced this first hand. "You need to understand that at the University of Oklahoma, an 8-4 record is considered a losing season.....That didn't make me or the program a failure in my eyes, but it wasn't good enough for the group of Oilys (Oil Tycoon boosters) we were embarrassing at the time."
   While the head coach at OU, Barry Switzer won 3 national championships, 8 bowl games, coached 54 All Americans, and had a record of 157-29-4.  After sixteen seasons as head coach, Barry chose to resign in the face recruiting violations and immense pressure from the university's board of regents.

The Football Monster Loves Stoops!

"Why is your old lady going through my shit?  Get your ass out of my van. Where are my sunglasses?"-Brian "The Boz" Bosworth Stone Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment