Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hero Sandwich....

he·ro   /ˈhɪəroʊ/ Show Spelled[heer-oh]
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
4. Classical Mythology .
a. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
b. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
c. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.
5. hero sandwich.
6. the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich.

"I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids". -Sir Charles Barkley

Hello! How do you do?  This is Drew The View! Me and the lady went to watch "Scott Pilgrim Versus The World" last night.  Michael Cera portrays Scott Pilgrim, an ackward twenty-some(imagine that..) living in a video game world who must defeat seven evil X's in order to win the girl of his dreams. The show is in the spirit of Juno, has a real cool soundtrack and is very fun to watch.  I think I was the oldest person in the theater. Yikes!

I really do feel for the real-life non-fictional hero these days.   Their challenges aren't private, often riddled with scandal, and truimphs are easily forgotton.  In 1986, Roger "The Rocket" Clemens dominated the baseball diamond becoming the first pitcher to strike out twenty batters in a nine inning game.  After being hearld as the greatest pitcher of his era, his career ended in 2007 with the Yankees. After retiring,Clemens  lied in his testomony to the grand jury in regards to his use of steroids during his playing days. He was recently summoned for perjury. One of my friends is selling T-shirts to Clemens' inmates that read,"I Played Catch With The Rocket" and "I Blasted Off In The Rocket." I don't get it. Tiger has a great  chance to bounce back from all the adversity he faces.  Here's something I didn't know until recently.... Did you know Tiger Woods' dad would cheat on his wife while he and Tiger were away on "golf trips?" Me Neither! I wonder where he gets it from? Also, did you know that Willie Nelson smoked a joint on top of the white house with one of Jimmy Carters sons?  I mean really, he was a guest in the Lincoln Bedroom did you not expect him to find somewhere to fire one up ? 



"Did you ever know that you were my hero? And I can fly higher than an eagle, because you are the wind beneath my wings."- Jeff Silbar

When I was kid, before television/radio was champ, my folks were my heroes. Robert Matthew Van Winkle(aka Vanilla Ice) was simply too cold for my parents to hold that title for long. "His Airness" Mr. Michael Jeffery Jordan swooped it up, then Shawn Carter became God. Tiger-Tiger Woods ya'll! I think the hero application that I filled out, for the most part, was done completely backwards.  In order for a hero to not disappoint, I think we should be concerned about character first and then... performance,accolades,ect.... What good movie has Lindsey Lohan been in lately?  None. Kathy Griffin is a likeable lady, not a great comedian.  But I'll sit there with my wife and listen to her make fun of Lindsey and Paris Hilton for an hour. Why do I care? Are them bitches my heroes now? As the public, I think we find there stories the most intriguing of all. Never have we gravitated toward boring figures, we love the most exciting.   Thanks for reading! I love you! -Drew The View

No comments:

Post a Comment